Solar Energy Input

The vast majority of Earth’s energy comes from the Sun. This solar energy arrives mainly as visible light. About 70% of the incoming solar energy is absorbed and heats the planet. The other 30% is immediately reflected back to outer space and does not heat the planet.

Resources (2)

Resource

A document, website, curriculum or other kind of content that provides useful information related to climate education.

Displaying all 2 related resources.

Name Authors

Authors

Name of an author associated with this resource
Resource Type Topics Contributing Source

Contributing Source

Content originates from either the Education Resources Information Center (ERIC), from other sources vetted by WestEd (WestEd) or by the Pacific Islands Climate Education Partnership (PCEP), or from self-reported (and non-vetted) material entered directly by users/members.
Draft Revised American Samoa Science Standards Regional/National Standards or Framework Climate Science, Earth System Science (ESS), Climate Impacts, Earth's Matter, Energy and the Earth System, Earth's Biosphere, Earth's Climate, Atmosphere, Geosphere, Water Cycle, Carbon Cycle, Solar Energy Input, Atmospheric Energy Circulation, Ocean Thermal Energy, Radiation Energy Outflow (Greenhouse Effect), Ecosystems and Biodiversity, Major Aquatic Ecosystems, Global Climate, Home and National Security, Fresh Water and Food Security, Ecosystems and Biodiversity Impacts PCEP
Alignment of Draft Revised American Samoa Science Standards with PCEP Climate Education Framework at Middle School Level Regional/National Standards or Framework, PCEP Planning/Coordination Climate Science, Earth System Science (ESS), Climate Impacts, Systems, Climate and ESS, Earth's Matter, Energy and the Earth System, Earth's Biosphere, Earth's Climate, Atmosphere, Geosphere, Water Cycle, Carbon Cycle, Earth's Energy Budget, Solar Energy Input, Atmospheric Energy Circulation, Reflection Energy Outflow, Radiation Energy Outflow (Greenhouse Effect), Ecosystems and Biodiversity, Major Aquatic Ecosystems, Life Affects Climate, Weather and Climate, Regional Climates, Global Climate, Home and National Security, Fresh Water and Food Security, Ecosystems and Biodiversity Impacts, Public Health, Economic Impacts PCEP

Key Ideas (3)

Key Idea

An important idea that is explained well in a Resource that is part of this website.

Displaying all 3 related key ideas.

Key Idea Type Topics Grade Levels Resource

Resource

A document, website, curriculum or other kind of content that provides useful information related to climate education.
Contributing Source

Contributing Source

Content originates from either the Education Resources Information Center (ERIC), from other sources vetted by WestEd (WestEd) or by the Pacific Islands Climate Education Partnership (PCEP), or from self-reported (and non-vetted) material entered directly by users/members.
Sunlight reaching the Earth can heat the land, ocean and atmosphere. Some of that sunlight is reflected back to space is reflected back to space by the surface, clouds, or ice. Much of the sunlight... Explanation Earth's Energy Budget, Solar Energy Input Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, College Climate Literacy: The Essential Principles of Climate Science PCEP
A significant increase or decrease in the Sun's energy output would cause Earth to warm or cool. Satellite measurements taken over the past 30 years show that the Sun's energy output has changed on... Explanation Earth's Energy Budget, Solar Energy Input, Investigating Climate Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, College Climate Literacy: The Essential Principles of Climate Science PCEP
Energy enters the Earth system in the form of sunlight. About 30% of that input solar energy is immediately reflected t outer space and does not heat the planet. Different features of Earth reflect... Explanation Solar Energy Input, Reflection Energy Outflow Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, College Climate Science Overview PCEP

Submit a comment, question, or problem to the DSP Support Team.