Resource Case Studies: Climate Change and Pacific Islands: Indicators and Impacts
- Vetting Authority:
- Art Sussman
- These case studies provide real-life examples of climate change impacts and adaptations as part of the Pacific Islands Regional Climate Assessment (PIRCA). The PCEP website also has the Executive Summary and the Full Report of the PIRCA "Climate Change and Pacific Islands." There are eight case studies, and they are generally one to two pages long.
The eight case studies are:
(1) Managing vulnerable water resources in atoll nations;
(2) Using climate forecasts to save money and protect human health;
(3) Climate change likely to intensify freshwater disputes in Hawai'i;
(4) A combination of processes causes extreme water levels and contributes to flooding and erosion;
(5) Mapping sea-level rise in Honolulu;
(6) Climate change threatens Hawai'i forest birds;
(7) Fish populations respond to climate conditions; and
(8) Pacific coral reef management in a changing climate
The PIRCA examines impacts and adaptive capacity of communities regarding climate change effects on the water-energy nexus; cultural resources and indigenous environmental knowledge; regional and community economies; policy; urbanization, transportation, and infrastructure vulnerabilities; ecosystem services; and ocean resource sustainability and coastal zone management.
Specific topics of interest include:
* Climate variability and change science, including historical observations, trends and climatologies.
* Freshwater resource sustainability; flow trends; groundwater recharge; demographic stresses.
* Sea level rise and coastal inundation projections and scenarios; current and projected coastal hazards and impacts.
* Ecosystem assessments including climate effects on ocean acidification and coral health; sea level rise impacts on ecosystems; saltwater intrusion; and species/habitat responses to precipitation and temperature changes.
- Edited by Victoria W. Keener, John J. Marra, Melissa L. Finucane, Deanna Spooner, Margaret L. Smith
AuthorsName of an author associated with this resource
- Resource Type:
- Overview/Summary Document, Research Document
- Publication Date:
- Island Press
PublisherName of publisher associated with this resource
- Grade Levels:
- Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, College
- Fresh Water and Food Security, Home/Nation Impacts: Sea Level, Water/Food Impacts: Sea Level, Water/Food Impacts: Extreme Weather, Water/Food Impacts: Water Cycle Changes, Water/FoodImpacts: Adaptation, Ecosystems/Biodiversity Impacts: Sea Level, Ecosystems/Biodiversity Impacts: Temperature Changes, Ecosystems/Biodiversity Impacts: Water Cycle Changes, Ecosystems/Biodiversity Impacts: Ocean pH, Ecosystems/Biodiversity Impacts: Adaptation, Public Health Impacts: Water Cycle Changes, Economy Impacts: Sea Level, Economy Impacts: Water Cycle Changes
- Related Locations:
- Hawaii, American Samoa, Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI), Guam, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Republic of Palau, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Yap
Related LocationsOne of the 11 major political entities within the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island (USAPI) region.