Resource PCEP Strategic Plan
- Vetting Authority:
- Art Sussman
- During its first phase, the Pacific Islands Climate Education Partnership (PCEP) helped create a vibrant partnership to strategically improve climate education in the USAPI. This regional partnership developed a Strategic Plan that summarizes the activities that will result in two major outcomes:
1. Improved climate education in the USAPI by
a. Connecting schools and community adaptation partners;
b. Providing relevant professional learning opportunities for teachers;
c. Creating a K-14 Climate Education Framework aligned with local standards and making available relevant supportive curriculum materials; and
d. Relating indigenous knowledges and practices to evidence-based processes for STEM education in K-14 schools
2. A self-sustaining Partnership supporting K-14 climate education
The PCEP Strategic Plan incorporates a range of interconnected strategies and activities that are grouped into four priority education areas:
(1) Climate Education Framework
Implement a next-generation Climate Education Framework that focuses on the content and skills necessary for understanding the science of global and Pacific island climates, as well as the adaptation to climate impacts in the USAPI region.
(2) Indigenous Knowledges and Practices
Gather appropriate local indigenous knowledges based on the cultural stories and traditional practices related to environmental stewardship, climate, and local climate adaptation strategies.
(3) Learning and Teaching
Enhance conditions for learning about climate change in K–14 classrooms with the CEF through college-based, credentialed climate education programs; professional learning opportunities for teachers; and increased teacher implementation of locally-relevant climate science and adaptation curricula.
(4) Community-School Partnerships
Connect schools (K–14) and community climate adaptation partners through locally relevant projects aligned with the CEF and proven learning strategies to implement effective and sustainable USAPI climate education.
View, print, or download this resource to examine the details of the PCEP Strategic Plan.
AuthorsName of an author associated with this resource
- Publication Date:
- May 2012
- Grade Levels:
- Grades K-2, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12
- Science of Learning, Processes of Teaching & Learning, STEM Learning Environments
- Related Locations:
- Hawaii, American Samoa, Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI), Guam, Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Republic of Palau, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Yap
Related LocationsOne of the 11 major political entities within the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island (USAPI) region.