Resource Making Science Accessible to English Learners: A Guidebook for Teachers
- Vetting Authority:
- Art Sussman
- This updated edition of the bestselling guidebook helps middle and high school science teachers reach English learners in their classrooms. The guide offers practical guidance, powerful and concrete strategies, and sample lesson scenarios that can be implemented immediately in any science class. It includes:
* rubrics to help teachers identify the most important language skills at five ELD levels;
* practical guidance and tips from the field;
* seven scaffolding strategies for differentiating instruction;
* seven tools to promote academic language and scientific discourse;
assessment techniques and accommodations to lower communication barriers for English learners; and
* two integrated lesson scenarios demonstrating how to combine and embed these various strategies, tools, techniques, and approaches.
The volume is designed for teachers who have had limited preparation for teaching science in classrooms where some students are also English learners.
- Carr, J., Sexton, U., Lagunoff, R.
AuthorsName of an author associated with this resource
- Resource Type:
- Overview/Summary Document, Research Document
- Publication Date:
PublisherName of publisher associated with this resource
- Grade Levels:
- Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12
- Science of Learning, How Students Learn, Multilingual Classrooms, Education in Indigenous Communities, Formal Learning Environments, Culturally-Appropriate Assessment-Evaluation