Resource Chuuk Watersheds and Ecosystems
- Vetting Authority:
- Art Sussman
- This great resource explains and illustrates Chuuk's watersheds and ecosystems. It was produced by the non-profit Island Research and Education Initiative (IREI). Similar books have been produced for Kosrae, Pohnpie, and Yap.
The book introduces readers (students) to different parts of a watershed using an idealized "ridge-to-reef" profile custom-made for Chuuk. On each set of facing pages, readers "visit" a particular part of the watershed, from the highest mountains down to the coast, view photos, and read bilingual texts (in local language of that island and English).
The books increase awareness and knowledge of diversity of habitats, teach interrelatedness and continuity of all different parts of the island environment, and convey that each part of a watershed must be considered for successful resource management. IREI plans to publish the books in 2012 and is currently waiting for promised funds from the Integrated Water Resource Management Program at the FSM Department of Resources and Development. Once published, IREI intends to distribute all books free of charge to schools, libraries, community centers, and other venues around the FSM.
AuthorsName of an author associated with this resource
- Resource Type:
- K-14 Curriculum and/or Assessment, Overview/Summary Document
- Grade Levels:
- Grades K-2, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12
- Ecosystems and Biodiversity, Terrestrial Biomes, Major Aquatic Ecosystems, Ecosystems and Biodiversity Impacts
- Related Locations:
- Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Chuuk
Related LocationsOne of the 11 major political entities within the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island (USAPI) region.