Resource Current and Future Climate of the Marshall Islands
- Vetting Authority:
- Art Sussman
- The Pacific Climate Change Science Program has produced a series of 8-page brochures. Each The Pacific Climate Change Science Program (PCCSP) has produced a series of 8-page brochures. Each brochure summarizes country-specific information about the past, current and future climate of each Pacific island country. The contents of the brochures are the result of collaborative efforts between the National Weather Service offices in each country and the PCCSP. This brochure focuses on climate in the Federated States of Micronesia.
The PCCSP is part of the Australian Government's commitment through the International Climate Change Adaptation Initiative (ICCAI) to meet high priority climate change adaptation needs in vulnerable countries in the Asia-Pacific region, especially the Pacific island countries and East Timor.
The PCCSP works closely with the another key ICCAI program, the Pacific Adaptation Strategy Assistance Program, which aims to enhance country capacity to assess their vulnerability to climate change and develop evidence-based adaptation strategies. The PCCSP aims to strengthen the capacity of 15 countries in the region to participate in and undertake climate change science research. PCEP countries served by PCCSP are the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Palau, and American Samoa.
This investment in better climate change science for the region will improve the basis for future decision-making about effective adaptation and development planning.
The PCCSP is supported by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID)
in collaboration with the Australian Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency (DCCEE). The Program is delivered by the Bureau of Meteorology and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), through their research partnership in The Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research (CAWCR).
The PCCSP also works in close cooperation with regional Pacific organizations and other research institutions including Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP), Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC), Pacific Islands Applied Geoscience Commission (SOPAC), and the University of the South Pacific (USP)
- Resource Type:
- Overview/Summary Document
- Grade Levels:
- Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, College
- Home and National Security, Fresh Water and Food Security, Ecosystems and Biodiversity Impacts, Public Health, Economic Impacts
- Related Locations:
- Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI)
Related LocationsOne of the 11 major political entities within the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Island (USAPI) region.
Key IdeaAn important idea that is explained well in a Resource that is part of this website.
Displaying 1 related key idea.